Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cloning the Past

(Above) “Lady with a Squirrel and a Starling”, 1527 by Hans Holbein the Younger
(Above) “Portrait of a Young Girl”, 1460 by Petrus Christus
(Above) “Maria Portinari”, 1470 by Hans Memling
(Above) “Lady with an Ermine”, 1490 by Leonardo da Vinci
(Above) “Portrait of Margaretha van Eyck”, 1439 by Jan van Eyck
(Above) “Girl with a Pearl Earring”, 1665 by Johannes Vermeer
(Above) “Portrait of a Chambermaid”, 1625 by Peter Paul Rubens

Rainer Elstermann is a Berlin commercial and fine art photographer who did this series he calls the “Old Masters” (how about that for a title, huh?) and recreates these art historical paintings with… children. What he has come up with is a 21st century spin on classical art. It’s fun.

Have a great Saturday.

6 comments:

Colin said...

John, where do find this stuff? Great! BTW, I'm into PP Reubens- one of the greats in art history-

Anonymous said...

Amazing body of work...WOW!

John Foster said...

Thanks Colin and Red: Yep, it's pretty amazing, I agree. I find things by following threads into deep internet space. Like getting lost in a cave. Hopefully, when I emerge I have something worthy for my blog for people like you. Since there's no money in this—I do appreciate your comments. That's why I keep going.

Linda Davick said...

!!!

Foquinha! said...

Loved it, John!
Greetings :)

Megan S said...

The clothing reproductions are really extraordinary!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...